Bone diseases can result in pain, discomfort and reduced mobility. Learn more about their types and treatments from an orthopedician in South Kolkata.
Types of bone diseases and their treatments
Bones are susceptible to numerous diseases that can weaken them and compromise their ability to facilitate movement. Here, the best orthopedician in South Kolkata has discussed the different types of bone diseases and their treatments.
What are the different types of bone diseases?
- Osteoporosis: It is characterized by decreased bone strength and density. This makes bones fragile and more prone to fractures. The condition is most common in older adults, like post-menopausal women, due to hormonal changes.
Treatments include medications, dietary modifications and lifestyle changes. Hormone therapy and medicines like bisphosphonates, vitamin D and calcium supplements help to strengthen bones, while a balanced diet rich in these vitamins and minerals prevents the development of this condition.
- Osteoarthritis: It mainly affects the joints. When the protective cartilage surrounding the bones starts to wear down, it leads to pain, stiffness and reduced mobility.
The treatments for this condition involve pain medications, exercise and physical therapy. In severe cases, ortho specialists from the best hospital in South Kolkata recommend joint replacement to restore function.
- Fibrous Dysplasia: It causes abnormal development or growth of bone tissue, resulting in deformed and weakened bones. Treatments include surgery to prevent fractures and stabilize affected bones.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: In comparison to osteoarthritis, this condition is an autoimmune disease in which the body’s immune system attacks the joints, causing pain, inflammation and subsequent joint damage. Doctors focus on reducing inflammation while reducing the risk of joint damage with medications like disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs, physical therapy and biologics. Early intervention is essential to prevent irreversible bone damage.
- Paget’s Disease: The condition affects the body’s usual bone remodelling process, resulting in deformed, weak and easily breakable bones. Treatments include medications to facilitate bone remodelling and lower pain. Physical therapy also helps to maintain mobility and manage symptoms.
- Bone Cancer: The primary form of bone cancer remains localized in the bones, while the secondary form spreads to the other parts of the body. Treatments usually involve surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy and targeted therapy to eliminate the tumour, relieve pain and prevent further spread.
- Brittle Bone Disease: It is a genetic disorder that affects the body’s ability to produce collagen, leading to weak bones susceptible to fractures. Treatments generally focus on managing the symptoms and preventing fractures through medications, physical therapy and lifestyle modifications.
If you suffer from any of these conditions, reach out to the best orthopedician in South Kolkata for medical guidance and management of these conditions.