Vaginal yeast infections are fungal infections. Find out more about its diagnosis and treatment from the best gynaecologist in South Kolkata.
Vaginal yeast infections: Diagnosis and treatment
Many women experience vaginal yeast infections. They are caused by an overgrowth of the fungus Candida and these infections can result in irritation, itching and discomfort. It’s important to understand the diagnosis and treatment for this condition for its effective management and relief. Read on to know more from the best gynaecologist in South Kolkata.
- Recognition of symptoms: It is important to recognize the signs of a vaginal yeast infection for its diagnosis and treatment. Common symptoms include burning, itching, swelling and redness in the vagina. Moreover, a thick, white and odourless discharge is a common sign of vaginal yeast infection.
- Medical examination: When women experience the aforementioned symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection, they must reach out to a doctor who will conduct a pelvic exam to inspect the vaginal area. During the examination, the doctor might look for signs of swelling, redness and discharge associated with yeast infections.
- Microscopic analysis: In some cases, doctors might perform a microscopic analysis of a sample of discharge from the vagina to recognize the presence of yeast cells. This involves the collection of a small sample with a swab and getting it examined under a microscope. It will help confirm the diagnosis, following which appropriate treatment will be administered.
- Anti-fungal medications: As per the best female gynae in South Kolkata, doctors often prescribe anti-fungal medications, over-the-counter topical creams and ointments to help their patients get rid of the infection. For recurrent or more severe infections, prescription-strength oral-antifungal medications might be recommended by doctors.
- Probiotics: These are beneficial bacteria that play a crucial role in the management and prevention of yeast infections. These can be taken as oral supplements or consumed in the form of fermented food items like yoghurt. Probiotics help in maintaining a healthy balance of bacteria in the body, reducing the risk of yeast overgrowth. However, before taking any supplements, consulting a doctor is vital.
- Lifestyle changes: It is important to make certain lifestyle changes to prevent the risk of vaginal yeast infections. Practising good hygiene, wearing breathable undergarments and limiting the intake of sugary foods along with having a balanced diet can help reduce the chances of developing yeast overgrowth.
- Management of underlying causes: If someone experiences recurrent yeast infections, doctors will try to determine the underlying causes that cause the infection. By managing diabetes and other immune system disorders, the likelihood vaginal yeast infections are significantly reduced.
If you are experiencing the symptoms of vaginal infections, it’s essential to seek prompt medical attention from the best gynaecologist in South Kolkata for thorough diagnosis and treatment.