Back pain can be caused by several factors, including poor posture, muscle strain, and injuries. When it comes to its treatments, there are numerous options to choose from. Below, the top orthopedician in South Kolkata has discussed these treatments in detail.
Treatments for back pain: Explains an Orthopedician
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy is the first in-line treatment for back pain. Top orthopedic doctors recommend physical therapy to strengthen the muscles supporting the spine, improve flexibility, and promote better posture. Physical therapy might also include techniques such as manual therapy, heat or cold therapy, and more to reduce pain.
- Medications: Depending on the severity of the back pain, orthopedic doctors in South Kolkata also prescribe medications to alleviate symptoms and enhance healing. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen or naproxen can help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Injections: Orthopedic doctors sometimes recommend injections as a targeted approach to manage back pain. Epidural steroid injections, for example, deliver anti-inflammatory medication directly in the epidural space around the spinal cord to reduce inflammation and relieve pain. Facet joint injections and sacroiliac joint injections might also be used to alleviate pain originating from specific joints in the spine.
- Surgery: Surgery is usually considered when conservative treatments fail or when there is a structural problem that requires intervention. Orthopedic surgeons may perform procedures such as discectomy or removal of a herniated disc, laminectomy or removal of the lamina to relieve spinal cord pressure, or spinal fusion (joining two or more vertebrae together to stabilize the spine).
- Minimally Invasive Procedures: Some orthopedicians might also suggest minimally invasive procedures for back pain that does not respond to conservative treatments. For instance, one such common procedure is spinal cord stimulation, where a device is implanted to deliver electrical pulses to the spinal cord, interrupting pain signals.
- Lifestyle Modifications: Bone specialists also emphasize the importance of lifestyle modifications to manage and prevent back pain. This may include maintaining a healthy weight, practicing good posture, and avoiding prolonged sitting or standing. Regular exercise combined with low-impact activities such as walking and light exercises can also help strengthen the muscles at the back and improve overall spinal health.
It is important to note that the right treatment for back pain varies based on the underlying cause of the pain. You can consult the top orthopedician in South Kolkata who will conduct a thorough evaluation, which might include imaging tests such as X-rays or MRIs, to determine the most suitable treatment plan for you.