GERD or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease occurs when the stomach acid moves back into the esophagus. Know more from the best GI surgeons.
Best treatments for GERD
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) refers to a long-term condition that is characterized by regurgitation of stomach acid into the esophagus. It can result in symptoms like chest pain, heartburn and difficulty swallowing. Get to know about the best treatments for this condition from the best GI surgeons in Thakurpukur.
Common treatments for GERD
- Medications: Several medications help in the management of GERD symptoms by reducing or neutralizing the production of stomach acid. Some of the common medications that are prescribed for this condition are as follows.
- Antacids: Over-the-counter antacids offer quick relief by neutralizing stomach acid.
- Proton Pump Inhibitors: Drugs like esomeprazole and omeprazole reduce the stomach acid production and promote esophageal healing.
- H2 blockers: Medications like famotidine and ranitidine help block histamine, a chemical responsible for acid production.
- Lifestyle modifications: Initially, GERD treatments involve making lifestyle changes. This helps reduce the frequency and severity of symptoms, says the best gastroenterologists in Thakurpukur.
- Dietary adjustments: Avoiding and identifying trigger foods like tomatoes, chocolate, citrus fruits, spicy and fatty foods and caffeine is essential.
- Managing weight: Maintaining your weight enables you to reduce pressure on your stomach and minimize instances of acid reflux.
- Meal timing: Eating more frequent, smaller meals and avoiding large meals close to bedtime can help in relieving symptoms of GERD.
- Surgical Interventions: In severe cases of GERD, when other treatments prove to be ineffective, surgical options might be recommended.
- Gastric Bypass Surgery: People who are obese with GERD, weight loss surgery is suggested to eliminate the symptoms.
- Fundoplication: The stomach’s upper part gets wrapped around the lower esophagus to strengthen the lower esophageal sphincter and prevent acid reflux.
- Esophageal pH monitoring: In cases where diagnosis is unclear, esophageal pH monitoring is recommended by doctors. The test helps measure the level of acidity in the esophagus over a twenty-four hour period, offering valuable information for doctors to prepare treatment plans.
GERD treatments require a comprehensive approach. In mild cases, the condition can be treated with medications and lifestyle changes. However, in severe cases, endoscopic procedures or surgical interventions are necessary. The best GI surgeons in Thakurpukur will evaluate your symptoms and offer the most suitable treatment accordingly. Doctors will also check the effectiveness of the treatment to ensure that you heal properly.