Amenorrhea occurs when you do not get your period. There are two different kinds of it: primary and secondary. The former is caused when a female more than fifteen years of age does not get her period. The later part, on the other hand, occurs when someone does not get their periods for three months. Below, the best female gynae in South Kolkata has discussed the top causes of missed periods.
Causes of amenorrhea:
- Birth control: Some birth control medications can cause missed periods. This occurs during the first few months after taking birth control or if the person has pills every week or month. Apart from birth control medications, even an IUD or hormonal intrauterine device and an implant can result in the absence of periods, says a reputed gynecologist in South Kolkata.
- Low weight: If you have low body weight, it can prevent the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus from functioning properly. This can result in a kind of amenorrhea termed functional hypothalamic amenorrhea.
- Weight gain: Rapid weight gain can result in hormonal imbalance. This can cause temporary problem.
- High-impact exercises: High-impact exercises can contribute to functional hypothalamic amenorrhea. It’s estimated that women who exercise regularly often experience menstrual disorders.
- Nutritional deficiency: Malnutrition or nutritional deficiency can affect the function of the hypothalamus and pituitary gland. This can be the cause of functional hypothalamic amenorrhea.
- PCOS: PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome refers to a hormonal disorder. Not having regular periods is one of its primary symptoms. Moreover, PCOS can cause hyperandrogenemia, which makes a woman have high levels of hormones, causing irregularities in menstrual cycles.
- Stress: Stress can affect your body’s hormonal levels. This can also result in functional hypothalamic amenorrhea.
- Defects in the genital tract: Genetic tract defects can make it hard for the menstrual blood to leave the vagina. The most common genital tract defect is an imperforate hymen. It is a kind of hymen that completely covers the vagina or that prevents the blood from leaving during periods.
Treatments for missedperiods:
Apart from lifestyle changes that include eating a balanced diet, managing stress, and maintaining a healthy weight, the doctor might suggest some of the following treatments for addressing the underlying cause of your amenorrhea.
- Hormonal treatment or medications
- Surgical Treatment for an Imperforate Hymen
- Estrogen therapy to alleviate amenorrhea symptoms like vaginal dryness and hot flashes
The causes of amenorrhea or missed periods are many; hence, it’s crucial to reach out to the top female gyne in South Kolkata. They will determine your symptoms and perform some tests which are needed to diagnose your condition.